Thursday, 25 January 2007

Candy Empire's Best Chocolates



Update: the last time I dropped by they had not replenished the stock. Looks like they are trying to get rid of old inventory first. I do hope they bring in more of these good ones though.

Candy Empire has by far the best chocolates in Singapore. I am a chocoholic so you can take my word for it. I just wish the prices were lower though. They must have a very high profit margin on these. I see that they probably get their stock from factory outlets in Australia at low prices. Wish they would reduce their prices now that sales is up.




The Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight is a 48 gram milk chocolate that has a caramel filling (S$2.40). Feels like it was right out of the storybook Chocolate Factory! Its shaped into - not the usual cubes, but Willy Wonka Hats instead. Eating this is like being in chocolate heaven and you will never look at a mars bar the same way again. When you want some caramel with your chocolate you'll look for whipples only.


The Newman Ginger is a 50 gram dark chocolate bar with real pieces of truffle ginger inside (S$2.50). Its so good and will appeal to dark chocolate and ginger lovers.





My favourite was the 50 gram Ernest Hillier Ultimate Milk Chocolate ($3.80) from Australia. Sometimes you just need plain milk chocolate in its purest form. It just melts in the mouth and leaving you wanting more. Orgasmically good!! Try this and you'll be in chocolate heaven. No need for trips to Australia to get the good stuff. Also the extra cardboard pacakaging will prevent the bar from being crushed in your handbag. We ladies all know how we like to stuff our handbags.

It seems that Ernest Hillier owns the Newman brand.
"Obviously the brand leaders are the brand leaders and should be treated with respect," said Emma Barnett, Marketing Manager, Ernest Hillier. "But we think we offer something different. We have had a good response to our products through the convenience channel and I think retailers recognise there is a clear benefit to having a range of products.

"We are always looking for gaps in the market, something that is innovative and unique," she said. "The Newmans dark ginger bar, which uses Australian Buderim ginger and dark chocolate, has been a huge success and has doubled in sales in the past two years."

4 comments:

Pau Kau Dim said...

Remember Candy Empire at Vivocity? The one that does not welcome customers in wheelchairs? Well their attitude is still “to hell with customers, we just want to make money!!!”

On Wednesday, 12th August 2009, after a trip to Sentosa, my group of relatives from Hong Kong decided to drop in at Candy Empire. They made several purchases and my sister-in-law was going to make payment for the 3rd time at the cashier counter. She placed her bags of earlier purchases on the counter so as to take out her wallets. In the meantime along came another customer and the cashier just swipe my sister-in-law’s bags aside for the other customer to place her purchases! One of the bag containing 3 bottles of sauces bought from Kee’S at “Images of Singapore” fell onto the floor and a bottle broke. As she cannot converse in English, she called me and told me what had happened. There were a male and a female staff behind the counter and I spoke to them twice. Both ignored me completely! The third time I raised my voice and the male staff immediately immediately reply that he is not involved, he does not know what had happened! The female cashier continued to ignored me! So I demanded to see the manager. He came along and apologized for what happened and asked how they can compensate us. We are not interested in monetary compensating, my sister-in-law wanted to bring some taste of Singapore back with her! As we are leaving on Saturday and our itineries are fully set till then, we won’t have time to go looking for a Kee’S retail outlet to buy a replacement. The manager asked for my address and promise to get the replacement and sent to me before Saturday!

Thursday night, a man called me to informed that they had bought the sauce and asked me to collect. I told him that I don’t have time to collect and and the store manager had promise to sent it to me! He then said that his management instruction was for me to collect. Their excuse was:

THEY ARE AFRAID THAT THEY MAY BREAK THE BOTTLE AGAIN IF THEY SENT IT TO ME!!!!!

I refuse to collect and he said that he will check with his management again and call me back. Well, I have not heard from him again and now we are all back in Hong Kong!

What an unpleasant experience and negative impression of Singapore, my relatives have brought back to Hong Kong!!

Chua Soon Tiong
NRIC No. S1204044/Z
Handphone: 90888938

Mr Kiasi said...

There are 3 issues on this post I would like to highlight on for Mr Soon Tiong Chu.

1.You said that,
"In the meantime along came another customer and the cashier just swipe my sister-in-law’s bags aside for the other customer to place her purchases! One of the bag containing 3 bottles of sauces bought from Kee’S at “Images of Singapore” fell onto the floor and a bottle broke. As she cannot converse in English, she called me and told me what had happened."

Is there any concrete proof that the cashier swipe your sister-in-law's bags aside in the first place?In this case,obviously you don't.So it's your words against their's. And on top of that,you were not around the area where the incident took place,so how would you know exactly what had happened?

2.You claimed that,
"The manager asked for my address and promise to get the replacement and sent to me before Saturday!"

Once again,do you have any proof that they promised you they will definitely deliver the item to you? Black and white? Obviously you don't.Otherwise you wouldn't have kicked up a big fuss over here.

3.You said,
"I refuse to collect and he said that he will check with his management again and call me back."

Shooting yourself in the foot isn't it? You said that you refused to collect even though they had got a replacement for you,and you should be at fault as well.

Going through the internet,you have posted the same issue in several places,including some blogs,some even contained your NRIC number and full name.You better start praying that the candy store doesn't sue you for defamation for this post alone.

Sika T. said...

I have a question, does Candy Empire have vouchers you can buy?

flor said...

hi!! can you tell me how much did you pay for 100 grs of bulk candy?
great article!! i can't wait to be there.

thanks